Monday 2 June 2014

When is the right age?

Ok this is a post I feel like I need to write.

I'm not sure if you may have picked up over my blog but I have somewhat struggled with the whole weaning thing with James, finally I thought I was getting somewhere and now I find some people telling me I need to move him onto what we eat. Somehow in my head I still can't quite get my head around that.

I was asked today was I a precious mum when it came to what I gave James? I said no but I still stick to certain things maybe guidelines I've heard or read somewhere like only giving a baby fully cooked eggs or honey until one.

Recently also I have seen various posts in various places of people giving their babies foods I would never dreamt of giving James a couple of months ago at the same age like ice-cream, chocolate etc. But it got me thinking why is that? Why do I feel thats not suitable? On Saturday in Mcdonalds hubby and I had a conversation about a happy meal, when is it suitable for a child to have one?

I really don't want James to be one of the UK statistics and become an over weight child but I do give him pouch food and not home cook, he has a wafer or biscuit most days so therefore by giving him that am I actually going to cause him to be that without really knowing it? I feel like it's a huge responsibility to teach him about healthy eating. I am lucky in the sense he gets healthy meals at nursery.

You so should get a massive handbook when you leave hospital after giving birth or at least get new chapters every month on how to progress to the next level. There are some great weaning guides and also some great choice in baby pouches when you 1st start but as time goes on the information and choice gets less and less. I don't have time to go and see the health visitor loads, I don't really see other NCT mums that often now I'm back at work but also I have found my self slipping back into the whole trap of feeling jealous of others and their little ones which I know is completely stupid.

I was brave the other week and offered James some sandwich soldiers but he wasn't keen on them. So what next how do I move from the pouches to more food like we have?

Please don't take offence by this post, sometimes I need to ramble on to find my own solution. I'm not questioning anyone but myself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment